Printing at Iron Leaf Press
What is letterpress printing?
Letterpress printing is a early form of printing, dating from the mid-1500’s. It was the standard form of printing up until the mid 20th-century when offset printing was developed. Today it is still used for its tactile quality and unique finishes.
Letterpress printing is simply inking a raised surface and pressing it into paper. This can be done using metal or wood type, linoleum/wood engraving, or printing plates. In the past a light or “kiss” impression was desirable, while many today seek a deep impression into the paper. Our shop uses a deep impression when using printing plates, but uses a lighter touch with metal or wood type to keep them preserved for years to come.
What other finishing services do you offer?
In addition to letterpress printing, we do blind embossing as well as foil stamping.
What is the minimum order quantity?
Letterpress printing is very labor intensive, with much of the cost in the set-up, along with plate costs. Because of this, we recommend a minimum of 25 pieces for our orders. Lower quantities will be subject to a minimum order fee.
Do you make copies or print things digitally?
We try to stick with letterpress printing as much as possible in our shop. We do not offer copy services nor offset printing. On occasion we will use digital printing for things like printing guest addresses on envelopes, but do not generally take orders that are only printed digitally.
How large can you print at Iron Leaf Press?
In our shop we can print up to 8″ x 10″ easily and up to 12″ x 16″ depending upon the design and specifications.
What type of papers work best for letterpress?
Our house paper is Crane’s Lettra, which is a 100% cotton paper, made from recovered fibers of the cotton industry. It comes in three shades: fluorescent (bright white), pearl (ivory), and ecru (cream). We also have printed on a number of other paper stocks, including papers of various colors. Feel free to ask us about papers suitable for letterpress printing.
What is your turn-around time?
Typically our turn-around time is 7-10 business days. We can expedite orders if a quicker turn-around time is needed.
Wedding Invitations and Paper Goods
I love the idea of having letterpress wedding invitations. How do I get started?
We love to chat first to get an idea of what your wedding will be like and what your expectations are for your wedding invitations. Whether you know exactly what you want, or are clueless when it comes to invitations, we’re here to help you and your partner.
Once we chat in-person, on the phone, or online, we put together a quote for your invitations. If the quote works for you and your partner, a deposit is required and the design process begins. An initial draft and two rounds of revisions are included in all wedding invitation orders.
Once the design is approved, everything moves into production and final payment is due at completion of the project.
How much do letterpress invitations cost?
The beauty of letterpress printing is that you can do so many different things, which means the costs can vary quite a bit depending on paper stock, number of colors, and the various pieces included within a suite. In general, most custom designed wedding invitations begin around $850. Please contact us for a quote.
When should I be ordering save-the-dates and wedding invitations?
Four to six months before your wedding date is when you should start the wedding invitation process. This insures that we have plenty of time to get all the details correct and aren’t rushing to get them in the mail. If you would like to send save-the-dates, we should start that process eight to ten months before the date. Destination wedding save-the-dates are often sent out earlier. That process should start twelve months out.
When should save-the-dates and wedding invitations be mailed?
Save-the-dates should be mailed 6-8 months before the event date. Destination wedding save-the-dates are generally sent out 8-10 months in advance.
Wedding invites are usually mailed 6-8 weeks in advance. Destination wedding invites are usually sent 8-12 weeks before the event.
Can you print from an already created design?
We offer design services for all of our clients, but are also happy to print a design or logo created by someone else, provided it is a press-ready file and the original artist has granted permission for use.
I found the perfect invitation. Can you recreate it?
We do not recreate other designer’s work. We can work with you to create something inspired by the look you found, but cannot ethically copy another person’s work.
Can you design and/or print other items for our wedding?
Definitely! We love incorporating details from your paper goods throughout the entire wedding. We do menus, place cards, favors, programs, signage, and more! We’ve even used design elements for buttons and pint glasses as well.
Can you print on envelopes?
Yes! We can pre-print return and guest addresses on envelopes.
What about calligraphy or wax seals?
We can incorporate custom wax seals within or on the outside of your invitations. For hand written calligraphy, we work with two local calligraphers to address wedding invitations.
Is invitation assembly included?
We can certainly assemble, stamp, and provide your invitations ready to mail. Please let us know if you would like this included in your quote.
Shipping, Orders and Returns
Items are shipped via USPS. Single cards are shipped in a kraft, stay-flat mailer. Most other items are shipped in a bubble wrap mailer or small boxes. Posters are shipped in stay flat mailers or cardboard tubes depending on size. Once shipped, please note we are not responsible for any lost or undelivered packages.
Who should I to contact if I have any queries?
Please contact us at email@example.com for any questions.
Returns and exchanges
If there is a problem with your order, we will do our best to make things right. Please send contact us within 7 days of receiving your order and we can work together on a solution.
Privacy Policies, Terms and Conditions
Information I Collect
To fulfill your order, you must provide me with certain information, such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information (for a custom order for example), if you contact me directly.
Why I Need Your Information and How I Use It
I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- as needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
- when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
- if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
- as necessary for the purpose of my legitimate interests, if those legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights or interests, such as providing and improving my services. I use your information to provide the services you requested and in my legitimate interest to improve my services.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about my customers is important to my business. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
- Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
- Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
Transfers of Personal Information Outside the EU
I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions. As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. If I am deemed to transfer information about you outside of the EU, I rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer, as Google Cloud is Privacy Shield certified.
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
- Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
- Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
- Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
How to Contact Me
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Danielle Chargo, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternately, you may mail me at:
Danielle Chargo, Iron Leaf Press, 102 First St. SW Mount Vernon, Iowa 52314 United States